- Sprinkle half of whiskey over the dried fruit and chopped almonds and leave overnight.
- Sieve flour, salt and spices into a bowl and mix in the ground almonds.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Alternately stir in the eggs and flour mixture.
- Stir in the mixed fruit.
- Transfer to a greased and lined 9"/23cm tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C/325°F/Gas 3 for 3 1/2 - 4 hours approx.
- Cool in tin. When cold, pour over the remaining whiskey.
Suitable for Christmas / Wedding Cake