- Lightly dust a griddle pan or heavy frying pan with flour.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, cheese, salt and pepper in a bowl, mix well.
- In a jug, beat the beer, sunflower oil and mustard together. Add to the dry ingredients.
- Stir mixture until all the ingredients are well blended and form a soft dough. You may have to add about 2 extra tablespoons of beer.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and gently knead. Shape dough into a 20cm/8" round.
- Transfer to the preheated griddle. Score dough into wedges with a sharp knife. Cook for about 20 minutes turning frequently.
- Separate into wedges and serve warm with butter.
Ideal accompaniment with salads, delicious with soup or used in open faced sandwiches.
If preferred, you can use ginger ale instead of the beer.