- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Lightly grease and base line a 7"/18cms square tin. Put chopped dates into a bowl and pour over the hot water.
- Meanwhile, place flour, baking powder, butter, sugar and eggs into a large bowl and beat until smooth.
- Add the dates, water and chopped walnuts and stir until well blended.
- Transfer to prepared tin and bake in central oven position for 40 to 50 minutes until well risen, nicely browned and springy to the touch. Turn onto a wire tray to cool.
- Meanwhile, make sauce by putting all the Ingredients into a saucepan over a low heat and gently stir until butter is melted, sugar is dissolved and sauce has thickened slightly. Do not boil, just allow to simmer.
- Cut the pudding into 8 squares, place on serving plate and spoon over the toffee sauce.
If liked the dates and water may be processed before adding to Ingredients!
Above recipe may be baked in a 2 pt pudding bowl or individual dariole or ramekin dishes.
Also, if liked some of the toffee sauce may be placed in the base of the pudding bowl before adding the raw mixture!