Spice things up with these special flavoursome Frangipane Mince Pies!
- To make the pastry, place the butter, flour, salt and sugar into a large bowl and mix. Try not to over-knead or the pastry will be tough.
- Wrap in cling film and chill for an hour.
- To make the frangipane, put the butter and sugar into a bowl and whisk until soft and creamy.
- Scrape down the sides, add the eggs and continue to whisk. Don’t worry if the mixture looks curdled at this stage!
- Add the ground almonds, flour and mix briefly.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400F), Gas Mark 6.
- Roll the pastry out thinly onto a lightly floured work surface and cut into 18 x 6.5cm circles. Use this to line the tins.
- Spoon a teaspoon of mincemeat into each tartlet and top with the frangipane mixture. There is no need to spread the mixture flat as it will level out in the oven (but don’t overfill the tins).
- Sprinkle a few flaked almonds on top of each one.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, watching carefully. Remove from the tins and allow to cool a little on a wire rack.
Just like traditional mince pies, these are best served warm with a light dusting of icing sugar. Add a splash of cream or custard to really make the most of these festive treats.