- Sieve flour, bread soda, Bextartar and salt into a bowl. Add sugar if required.
- Rub in the butter/margarine to resemble breadcrumbs, lifting mixture with fingertips to introduce air to the dough.
- Add milk and mix to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead a little.
- Turn the smooth side up and shape into a round. Place the dough on a floured tin.
- Cut a cross over the top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven, 200°C/400°F/Gas 5-6 for 40-45 minutes.
- When baked the underneath when "tapped" should have a hollow sound.
- Cool on a wire tray. Cover with a dry tea towel to give a soft crust.
A hand full of raisins may be added to the dry ingredients before adding the milk to give a nice Fruit Soda Bread, also know as Station Bread.