- Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas 2. Double line a 20cms/8" round deep cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Put the margarine and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time with a tablespoon full of the flour and beat until well combined.
- Finally stir in orange rind, raisins, sultanas and mixed peel and stir well.
- Transfer to the prepared tin, smooth top with back of wet metal spoon. Place whole almonds in circles over the top.
- Bake for 3 1/2 hours approx. until risen, golden brown or skewer pressed in centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool in tin.
Check cake after 2 1/2 hours and at half hour intervals after that, as ovens vary.